I’ve generally don’t really love asparagus unless it’s charred on a BBQ grill. While rustling around my fridge recently looking for inspiration for a bit of a breakfast cook-up, I found some asparagus which was on its way to looking a bit sad, I decided to try out a recipe I saw on a segment Jamie Oliver did on asparagus. So simple. So Worcestershire saucy. So yum. Accidentally my photo turned into a ‘B’ is for breakfast.
Serves 2 for brekki
- good lug of olive oil
- garlic – 4 cloves peeled and finely sliced
- mixed mushrooms – 2 handfuls, roughly chopped
- small bunch asparagus spears – woody ends snapped off & cut into bite-sized chunks
- small handful of parsley – roughly chopped
- 8 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp butter
- salt & pepper
- your choice of bread to toast
- Put a large fry-pan on a high heat and add the olive oil.
- When oil is hot add the garlic
- Whack bread in toaster
- Add mushrooms and asparagus to the pan and toss and fry for 4 mins
- Add parsley to the pan along with the Worcestershire sauce and butter
- Take pan off heat and shake and stir for around 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted and the sauce has reduced down a little
- Season to your taste, then spoon over the slices of the hot toast.