Recently I was asked for “something quick, easy and healthy I can make for brunch that doesn’t involve sandwiches”. I think this one’s a winner as it’s so simple and only has 5 ingredients (including pepper!). Every now and then I make up a batch of these for a week’s worth of brekkis, and they’re great as filling healthy snacks. They’re versatile in that they’re basically just little omelettes, so you really can put anything you have in them.. if you don’t have smoked salmon, tinned salmon / tuna will work just fine. Or left over BBQ chicken, or ham, cherry tomatoes… And any cheese will do instead of fetta too.
This is a popular item on my sassy bites menu, especially for the ‘no meat but seafood is ok!’ clients.
Makes 12 mini frittatas, or 24 canapé size (or you can plonk everything together in a non-stick/oven-proof frypan for 1 big frittata).
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 1 packet (100g) smoked salmon – ripped up into chunks
- 100g fetta cheese – broken up into little chunks
- fresh chives – chopped
- Heat normal oven to 180C
- Whisk eggs until they are fluffy and divide between 12 (standard) greased/non-stick muffin holes, or 24 mini muffin holes
- Divide and carefully drop the smoked salmon and fetta into each hole (for presentation, it’s better if the salmon and fetta are not completely sunken underneath the egg
- Grind a turn of pepper over each hole
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until they have started to go golden
- Remove from oven and cool in tin (they will be all puffed up initially when you take them out of the oven but they will fall into fluffy little pillows pretty quickly
- Serve hot or keep in fridge for up to a week (I love them cold as well).